Resources for Going Deeper and Wider
The AWAKENER covers a vast amount of material in a very short time. We encourage you to keep learning about the material and to explore more deeply some of the areas and topics that have a particular interest or impact for you.
Included below are resources and links related to the content of AWAKENER. They are organized by the sections of the course. Please explore these many resources. (If there is additional information you would like provided please let us know.)
WHERE ARE WE?
- GDP ‘not sufficient’ – Scientific critique of GDP as a measure of wealth
- Key issues and statistics mentioned
- Deforestation – 80% of forest gone
- Soil erosion and degradation – 30% of the world’s arable land lost in 40 years
- Ocean dead zones – More than 400 oceanic “dead zones” worldwide –
- Overfishing – 90% of large fish gone
- Ecological Footprint – Metric measuring how much nature we have and how much we use
- Climate Change: Evidence and Causes – A primer by U.S. National Academy of Sciences
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) – Leading global body on climate change
- Why 2 degrees Celsius is climate change’s magic number – Segment from the PBS Newshour
- The Species Extinction Crisis – Overview by the Center for Biological Diversity
- Just Society
- Global Wealth Inequality – Video and statistics on the huge disparity between rich and poor
- Global Rich List – Calculate your income in comparison to the rest of the world
- 100 People: a World Portrait – Statistics of the world as 100 people
- The Environmental Justice Movement – NRDC Article
- Environmental Justice – EPA Resource site
- Meaning and Fulfillment
HOW DID WE GET HERE?
A NEW STORY
WHAT IS POSSIBLE NOW?
WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?
- AWAKENER is presented by the Business Engagement Initiative (BEI). The BEI is a team of volunteers throughout the United States, with backgrounds in the business world, who are committed to supporting the institution of business becoming a leader in shifting toward a thriving, just and sustainable world.
- The AWAKENER is adpated from material in the “Awakening the Dreamer” Symposium developed by the Pachamama Alliance.